Location: Hybrid (home & central London office)
Position: Full Time
Benefits: 25 days holiday plus pension, healthcare, bonus
Finerva is a fast growing ICAEW firm founded by two former PwC London colleagues.
Our clients are innovative – mostly technology, science, engineering, and consumer products – and are backed by well-known growth and venture investors from the UK, US and Europe.
We specialise in finance, accounting and tax services that help ambitious entrepreneurs grow big businesses quickly and achieve their vision. From us they receive the best possible advice in the form of straightforward, actionable recommendations.
You’ll find our approach different from a traditional firm. It’s designed to ensure that every business we advise grows and thrives. We’re part of the UK’s tech and start-up economy which makes working with Finerva exciting and rewarding.
As a team we use technology to its full potential, and it regularly teaches us that in a remote and open-mind culture innovation matters. It means that all our work is highly collaborative – with clients, colleagues and associates.
Many of us have young families, some are semi-retired and so we’re flexible around family life and we always listen to and support those we work with.
Role and responsibilities:
The focus will be working with our clients to maintain their bookkeeping, produce and deliver reporting (such s KPIs or management reports) and finalise the bookkeeping at the end of the financial year.
Typical activities that the individual will be carrying out include:
• Reconcile bank accounts
• Review and maintain sales, purchase and general ledgers
• Calculate and process monthly journals for prepayment/ accruals/depreciation/payroll and other monthly adjustments
• Key monthly or quarterly account reconcilliations such as VAT/PAYE/accruals/deferred Income
• Post and review month end journals
• Adhere to bookkeeping standards and guidelines
• Meet client and team deadlines
• Complete and review VAT returns
• Keep client and team updated on progress and deadlines
• Liaise with other departments such as Payroll
• Prepare and review management accounts from information and documentation received from clients
• Develop and maintain good client relations
• Liaise with clients directly or through relevant manager to resolve queries or obtain further information
• Ensure a high level of service to meet client’s expectations
• Finalise the reconciliations and trial balance at the end of the financial year and pass the client to the accounting team
What we are looking for:
• Previous proven book-keeping experience in a client facing environment
• Excellent verbal and written communication
• Ability to work as part of a team and independently
• Numerate and analytical
• Evidence of being a proactive, self-starter who can manage changing priorities in a demanding environment
• Intermediate/advanced Excel and Xero
• Documents work and communications with clients clearly and concisely
• Highlights potential business opportunities to line manager
• Takes time to understand what the client requires
Desired other attributes:
• Extensive knowledge of VAT
• Broad knowledge of PAYE
• AAT (or similar) qualification
Personal attributes that are important:
• Responsive – an excellent communicator over video (particularly), phone and email.
• A self-starter – proactive and prepared to ask questions where unsure.
• Collaborative – enjoys working in a collegiate environment, supporting others, and seeking help where required.
• Desire to deliver a great service